Search this blog


Home About Contact
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What Am I Going to Do When Now That I'm All Grown Up?  

Amazing how one day you are crazy busy, up to your eyeballs with squeals, snoggies, and stitches and the next minute, Chatter Box takes his chit and his chat and walks right out the door of your home and your heart and into school. At that moment, you realize that you are only one step away from being an empty nester at the ripe old age of 38. Oopsies! I mean 29.

I do recognize he only went off to kindergarten, but still, it is all day and he is my youngest, so it may as well be college! What’s next? Marriage and a baby carriage? Hold me back, bessy! The question now is: What am I going to do now that I am all grown up? Here’s my options:

• Get educated. I was thinking of going back to school. I could devour graphic design, actually go to class this time around, get a skill, and have fun doing it.
• Volunteer. I LOVE volunteering, but want to shift gears this year. I am thinking of something more meaningful to me, like preventing genocide in Africa or some other human rights thing. How cool would that be? Better if I could actually go to Africa, but honestly, I would love to get involved in a global effort.
• Freelance. People are calling. Maybe I should say yes and start writing for money! SCARY. Didn’t I just quit my job a year ago?
• Clean the house. Did I really just include that as an option?
• Make dinner. See previous comment.

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the sound of silence and blog way too much. Growing up doesn’t mean making quick decisions, right?

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 bits of juicy gossip: to “ What Am I Going to Do When Now That I'm All Grown Up?

  • duchess
    August 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by earlier and my baby just headed off to 2nd grade & I still haven't figured out what to do with myself.
    Now I'm too busy to go to work and it would interfere greatly with my social/shopping life.

    Embrace the alone time.

  • Anonymous
    August 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM  

    Thanks for visiting my blog! It's so funny how we both blogged about our babies going off to kindergarten! I've added you to my blogroll so I have someone to cry and laugh with! I also think the freelance writing jobs sound great! I've done a little on the side for Parenting Magazine & a few teen magazines, but I have no time now! Maybe one day...

  • Rachel
    August 27, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

    Thanks for the comment -- I'm on my way to see the post you mentioned.

    Yes (sigh), I had another post about needing to about planning activities for Ellie; but, I was an idiot. I was going to change something in it and blogger was being a pain -- so I decided to delete the original post and re-post it. . . Only, I forgot to copy what I'd written. Blogger Idiot! :(

  • Genny
    August 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

    What a cute post...you had me smiling!

    Thanks for stopping by!

  • Laurel C.
    August 29, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

    Wow! You are so lucky to have a bit of peace and quiet during the day. With my two babies under age 3, I sometimes long for that! But I know I'll be sad the day my little guy goes off to school. Never happy, am I?

    What to do with your spare time? If I get a vote, I say don't do the freelance thing. Corporate America will suck out your soul! They will use their tentacles to lure you back in. Run, Jyl, run! Save yourself! Don't be a hero! I think you and I both know from experience about this one.