Search this blog


Home About Contact
Thursday, August 28, 2008

Negligent Napper  

I love the name of the blog: cheaper than therapy, because while writing can be creative, exploratory, and fun, it also serves a serious need at times to process life through all of its experiences and the emotions they instill. So, pardon me if I turn all you lovely gossiping mommies into therapists for a few minutes, but I have a confession to make. Anyone have a couch I can lay on before we begin? Here goes:

I took a nap yesterday afternoon. There you have it. I mean, if I am old enough to be an almost empty nester at the ripe old age of 29 38, don’t I deserve an afternoon nap? It is tiring trying to decide what you want to be when now that you are all grown up. I digress, because the nap really wasn’t the problem.

What happened was that I didn’t set the alarm right, it didn’t go off, and I woke up at 4 p.m.—yep! 40 minutes AFTER school let out. This may not have been such a big deal if the school were within walking distance, or if I lived 5 minutes—even 10 minutes—away. It certainly wouldn’t have been as big of a deal if the school would have answered their phone so I could have informed them of the emergency. But… It became a huge deal. I live 30 minutes away from the school in good traffic. It was an amazingly hot day. The school was not answering. My closest friend, who lives close to the school and whose number is the only one I have memorized (just got a new phone and haven’t synched to my contact list yet) wasn’t available. I could picture the headlines:

Woman Sleeps Through Carpool, Children Kidnapped
…or fast forward 2 years
Negligent Napper Gets Nine to Life

Fortunately, T-Daddy doesn’t work too far from the school and transformed into Super T-Daddy, put on his super fast flying cape (otherwise known as his Toyota FJ), and rushed from a very important meeting at work to the school all in time to save the day in a single bound.

The good news: the kiddos are home and safe and the careless cat napper avoided getting the chair. The not-so-good news: T-Daddy justifiably stayed Super, but just Super Mad! Should I blame him?

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



23 bits of juicy gossip: to “ Negligent Napper

  • LoriD
    August 28, 2008 at 5:04 AM  

    Oh no! My husband would get a lot of finger-waving, tsk-tsking mileage out of that one. A LOT!

  • Meg
    August 28, 2008 at 5:10 AM  

    Ahh! I have a feelng this might happen to me one day because I love taking naps.

  • Anonymous
    August 28, 2008 at 6:49 AM  

    I am so jealous you get to nap. Not jealous that you slept and didn't pick up your kids though! Glad they got home safe and sound.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

  • Mandy
    August 28, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

    I used to worry that would happen to me and I am surprised it never has! It is so something I would do!

    I am so glad your little guy is liking school! What a relief it must be for you! I understand your anxiety though! Believe me I do!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and understanding!

  • Anonymous
    August 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

    HaHaHaHa! I can totally relate! Glad you didn't get the chair, I mean every "super mom" deserves a little down time now and then! But, your Super T hubby will never let you forget that he is now "more super." LOL. Great post!

  • Linda S
    August 28, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

    Napper, schnapper, big deal...tell him you were resting up for "the big night" and he probably will pick them up for the rest of the week, right?
    glad everyone was safe!

    thanks for stopping by! next lesson, saying no to the PTA!

  • Crazymamaof6
    August 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM  

    HORRIFYING! it happens to the best of us. and seriously i love that my kids can walk home just in case i don't wake up in time to get them. really they should walk everyday. but i pick them to avoid the afternoon bickering from the hot walk home. but they know to start walking if I'm not there.

    thanks for stopping by and commenting! today!

    Oy my hubby has read lots of the books I've given him, and so this was the peace offering, he made me read his favorite to avoid his wrath. finally i achieved!

  • Cant Hardly Wait
    August 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

    Nap or kids... nap or kids... sometimes I pick nap, too.

  • Claremont First Ward
    August 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

    You must have been really tired. I'm so glad your husband was able to save the day.....even if his Super ended up being Super mad! :) I would have been freaking out!

  • Jenni
    August 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

    Whoops! But it was a good nap though, right? LOL!

    Alls well that ends well!

  • Amanda @ notsoextraordinary
    August 28, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

    i feel like i had this as a nightmare the other day...

  • Unknown
    August 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

    hi! just wanted to post at least one comment...i need all the help i can get with the cellulite thing :)

    great blog! be sure to swing by The Pink Potpourri this weekend...we have weekly giveaways, so come by and enter to win! this week's is great!

  • Anonymous
    August 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

    Oye, I hate fruit flies!

  • Anonymous
    August 29, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

    It happens, luckily my husband is a napper also...so no finger waving from him! haha Glad it all worked out. Thanks for your comment :) I like your blog.

  • Unknown
    August 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM  

    This happened to me a few weeks ago when I discovered blogger LOL I was lost in reading blogs and forgot one of my beans ahhhh mother of the year award will not be mine anytime soon!

    However the I heart your blog award is yours and you can pick it up over on my blog

  • Anonymous
    August 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

    ooohhhh yeaahahh....CANDY<- big napper! crucial napper. must have nap.

  • Anonymous
    August 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

    Hi Jyl! Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment. I had a lot of fun reading yours just now. You know, I've often wondered what I'll do when I grow up... now at least I'll know when that'll happen!

    I guess I'd let T-Daddy get his mad out, since turn into Super T-Daddy. He'll get over it eventually. ;)

    This is the kind of thing that makes me glad to live in a small town where it takes only 15 minutes to drive anywhere. Bet you'll be extra careful with that alarm clock now!

  • Diane
    August 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM  

    Aww, how sad. You get one wonderful nap (which I would KILL for) and you wake up late for school pick up. Bless your hubby for being around to get the kids!

  • Marketing Mama
    August 30, 2008 at 6:32 AM  

    Holy crap!

    What stands out most to me is that you had time to take a nap. Wow. I think my last nap was during maternity leave. ;)

  • Texasholly
    August 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

    This is a major nightmare of mine. It could have been ME. I now set the alarm on the phone, but still...it could easily be set wrong or slept through...

    He will get over it. eventually

  • JenEverAfter
    August 31, 2008 at 8:49 AM  

    Hahaha!!! You are going straight to my blogline. What a gem I have found this morning! Where have you been hiding all this time?

  • Kristen
    August 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

    Oh my goodness, that is something that would totally happen to me!!

    Sorry, hope you don't mind that I was kinda chuckling over here. So glad to hear that all worked out in the end. :)

  • VisibleSoulPhotography
    September 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM  

    You might have to share this award with me. I did that once to my daughter...oh did I get the royal treatment.

    Should I even mention the looks I got from her teacher? LOL