Search this blog


Home About Contact
Thursday, October 2, 2008

Confessions of an 8-Year-Old Runaway & Her Shoeless Sister!  

Let me start by setting the scene. It's 1978. I am 8-years old. My four siblings and my neighborhood friend and I are home with a sitter while my parents run a quick errand. Apparently, it wasn't quick enough and they didn't hire the right sitter! Or, as I like to tell it, I outsmarted them all!

When my parent's car was out of sight, I hurriedly got all of my ducks in a row. First, I called Dial-a-Ride—a local taxi service—and asked them to pick me up 3 blocks from my house. Next, I stole about $20 in quarters from my dad's coin jar. Finally and right before the getaway, I reassured both my 4-year-old sister and my friend that I had a fail-proof plan. That plan, unfortunately, did not include putting shoes on my sister, but I didn't have time to worry about the little things.

Like clockwork, the big yellow taxi came and took my baby away… wait, that's a song. A less glamorous but fully functional white Dial-a-Ride vehicle came and drove the three of us 20 minutes to the nearest mall. The freedom, the exhilaration, the shopping. It was more than a girly girl recently crowned Miss Independence (and I don't mean of Missouri) could handle. Ice cream, anyone? Earrings? Oh! I think I'll take some of those.

I left one thing out. Before we left the crime scene for our fashion frenzy, I left a note.
Every criminal leaves a note, right! Even my 8-year-old mind knew that. I wrote: "Dear mom and dad! We went to the park… in a taxi. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" Too bad CSI and Law and Order weren't the TV shows of choice in those days, because I certainly could have learned a thing or two about not giving myself away. But, good thing I did, because after scouring the neighborhood, the park, and calling everyone they knew, my parents made a call to Dial-A-Ride and sure enough, the company confirmed they had picked up a 12-year-old girl along with two others in that vicinity only a couple of hours earlier and in fact, they were bringing us back at that precise moment. When I heard that story, I was so thrilled the company actually believed I was 12! Shopping and passing for 12? Now, that is one successful afternoon.

Well… my shopping soiree ended abruptly when we walked up to our house to a whole crowd of people. Not only did I get grounded from playing for a week, but I got grounded from my friend for, oh! life! I kid you not.

Years later… as it has been told and retold, I have come to learn I was a very creative child. At the time, I just felt grounded—but with a really cool pair of earrings!

What childhood confessions do you have?

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



44 bits of juicy gossip: to “ Confessions of an 8-Year-Old Runaway & Her Shoeless Sister!

  • Mrs Anne
    October 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM  

    When I was little I had this innate fear of being kidnapped.

    Everyday when I walked home from school I would get major anxiety if a car drove slowly by (they probably weren't driving slowly, I was just paranoid), so I would act like whatever house I was in front of was my home, and start walking towards the door.

    Needless to say, sometimes those 5 blocks took me 30 minutes to get home!

    Yikes!

  • I Love Purple More Than You
    October 2, 2008 at 1:02 AM  

    Wow... you certainly were "creative". I can't believe the taxi took you guys without question.

    Me? I hid pussy willows in my pocket, to sneak them across the border in Canada, after I was informed that it was against the law to do so. For the next few days, I was just sure the police were going to come get me.

  • Supercool Hotmama
    October 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM  

    You brave girl! and way cool passing for 12!

    I stole a quarter from my dentist :}

    I also tagged you over at hotmamashouse. Hope you can play.

  • Susie
    October 2, 2008 at 4:49 AM  

    WOW! Now that's a get-away story;) What did your parents do to the babysitter? I can't say I have ever done something quite that gutsy--you are my hero!

  • Busymama Kellie
    October 2, 2008 at 5:03 AM  

    Can I just say that as a mother to 2 kids, that just freaks me out?? 5 years ago that story would have been hilarious but now all I think is holy crap, if my kids did that I'd have a heart attack! Although I must say I can find the humor in the shoeless part. :) That would SO be my daughter and her little brother!

  • Debbie
    October 2, 2008 at 6:22 AM  

    Great story. I love the fact that you left a note. Just a little good thrown in with the bad to keep everyone guessing.

  • Carrie and Jim
    October 2, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

    Wow, what a great story. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed yours and will be stopping back by.

  • Solei
    October 2, 2008 at 7:16 AM  

    Oh My!
    Not only were you creative, but brilliantly gutsy... The mother in me is glad you left the note, that way they at least knew YOU left, and not think the worst (like being kidnapped)

    But me, oh my! I was a miss Goody twoshoes!!! Oh wait, I remember stabbing my sister with a pencil in the leg once!!! Of course, Mom didn't believe her 'cause I NEVER did anything wrong and I NEVER stood up to my sister. That day, she pushed me over the edge!
    =0D

  • Unknown
    October 2, 2008 at 7:43 AM  

    I am laughing so hard I can not even come up with anything witty to comment OMGosh!!! that was hysterical

  • Anonymous
    October 2, 2008 at 7:45 AM  

    Whoa. You were a REBEL! I would have never had the guts to pull that off! LOL

  • Rhonda
    October 2, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

    Our babysitter had VERY long hair. We're talking, like, down to her bum. Apparently, while pretending to comb it and love it and ooh and aah over it, I actually cut a huge chunk out.

    She never came back.

  • Salty Incisor
    October 2, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

    holy moley you were a brave, creative, naughty child!!!! h why I named my blog oysterblogger? Because I am blogging along and hoping to create some good stuff through the process as in pearls.
    Its been a bit duddy latey I have been in a blogging slump. It is so great that you are a writer. We are the same ageish and I minored in Creative Writing. I just haven't done anything I am hoping the blog will get my juices flowing for writing. Loved that story btw!
    Thanks for stopping by!

  • Carrie
    October 2, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

    Great story! You were really something. I don't think I was ever that brave of a kid. Too afraid of consequences I guess. But I fear my own girls may be!

  • Anonymous
    October 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

    BTW- the Thomas trains are ADORABLE!!!!

    I think my little girl never has both shoes on.....

  • Cant Hardly Wait
    October 2, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

    Hahahaha!

    One time, the dildo kid, you know, TJ Brown, kissed me on my cheek. Well thanks to my mom telling me THAT'S where babies came from, I thought I was having a baby. I sat on the toilet in the bathroom for hours and cried. Finally I told my mom that I was having a baby. Then I told her I was probably going to have 7 of them because he kissed me 7 times.

  • Hannah
    October 2, 2008 at 10:23 AM  

    HAHA nice.

    FIRST off--- in response to your toilet-lever-comment: I USED to use toilet paper to flush the toilet, but one time the handle was WET (don't make me think anymore about what it was wet WITH!) and it soaked right through the toilet paper. After that, it was my foot.

    And hey-- yes I DO wash my hands! But would you be willing to dip your hands in a bowl of pee just because you knew you were going to wash your hands later? Nooo ma'am!!

    Okay, now that I got that outta my system! ;)

    When I was little, I "ran away"-- but I only made it to the end of the driveway. Then I decided it was too far and I didn't know which way to go, so I turned and went back!

  • Kacey
    October 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

    That is hilarious! I hope your parents appreciated yoru creativity! Ha! HA!

  • Jen
    October 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

    wow that is a crazy story. You sure were a creative child.

  • ParentingPink
    October 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM  

    Great post, you daring thing! Hmmm, my childhood confession? Gotta think about that one! Whew! Lots to choose from! LOL

  • Kelly
    October 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM  

    All I can say is WOW!!! You were brave. I can't imagine me having the guts to do that and I have a 9 year old and am trying to picture him doing that. It's kind of funny and scary at the same time!

  • Maude Lynn
    October 2, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

    I can't believe the taxi took you! That's kind of scary . . .

  • Unknown
    October 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM  

    Why were you grounded from your friend? That is a weird punishment. Wasn't it your idea? Oh well.

    The only thing I can think of is a mall story too. My friends and I were at the mall and on the way back we waited and waited and waited for the bus. It was FREEZING! Finally one of my friends had the brilliant idea to "steal" a taxi ride. The plan? Go to her home (how convenient) while she got the money and we wait in the car for x minutes. Jump out and run! Okay, I am not a track star and I knew it was wrong but I ran like a bat out of hell. Rolled down a hill. Tore my new pants and that was punishment enough. I have no idea how I explained the pants to my mother.

  • Laural Out Loud
    October 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

    I can't believe you were that brave at 8! And I can't believe that taxi picked you up, no questions asked! You have the best childhood story for sure, lol.

    What happened to the babysitter?

  • Carissa(GoodnCrazy)
    October 2, 2008 at 2:35 PM  

    Dude? 8? MY nearly 8yrold can barely walk to the neighbor's house alone.

    I stole my sister's change once and walked to the store to buy candy once? I confessed everything and tried to give her the candy since Ididn't have the money...

    and another time I was babysitting as I often did as a kid, and my younger brothers made a massive crazy mess in the fruit room. They broke and opened many (!) bottles of fruit and dumped them into the 30 gallon sized bucket of flour down there....

    I just closed the door and walked away..

    I never got in trouble for that mess...
    and years later when I asked my mom about it, she had no idea what I was talking about? Could she really have forgotten such a huge nasty mess? WHO the heck cleaned THAT up??

  • Kathleen W.
    October 2, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

    Oh my goodness! You were a creative (and bold!) child. I can't believe the Taxi company didn't question you!

    Your story makes me shudder when I think of the things my 6 month old will probably do when he gets older.

    I remember "running away" on late afternoon (basically just hiding in the woods behind the house because I was pitying myself for getting in trouble over something). I finally came back around 8:30pm and my mom was so mad and so relieved. It's different now imagining how she felt as a parent. It must have been agony, and of course you just don't have much empathy for adults at that age. And now a days with child predators, it's even scarier.

  • Don Mills Diva
    October 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

    Okay - you were the coolest kid EVER!!!

    That note? Classic.

  • Dreams and Designs
    October 2, 2008 at 3:00 PM  

    I used to steal change from my moms change container too! Usually it was a buck or two, but I still feel guily. And she wonders why I always want to buy her lunch now!! :)

  • Amanda @ notsoextraordinary
    October 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

    oh my GOSH i can't believe you did that! that is the kind of story i envy oh so much... but i swear if my kid ever did that i would probably FREAK out!

  • Kristen
    October 2, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

    Oh that is just plain hysterical!

    I LOVE it! :)

    Tell me where did you go? Fiesta Mall??

  • Wep
    October 2, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

    OMG that's awesome, but thank goodness you made it through your adventure safe.

  • Mandy
    October 2, 2008 at 4:53 PM  

    Oh my! Wow, I thought I was ornery!!!

    Let me think back to my ornery days and I will get back with you...

  • sassy stephanie
    October 2, 2008 at 5:20 PM  

    I cannot believe. That is so funny. Wonder what the driver was thinking!

  • Keys to the Magic Travel
    October 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM  

    I can't believe you did this when you were 8. And that you passed for 12. I need to watch my almost 8 year old more closely. Much more closely. Though I don't think she has the chutzpah to do this. Nor the cash.

    As for me, I was a horrid child. The child that would hold her breath if she wasn't getting her way. And then pass out. Head hitting the terrazo floor. With a visit to the ER for a concusion. On a regular basis.

  • Mamarazzi
    October 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

    wowzer!! i don't even know what to say. i admire your creativity but i also feel REALLY bad for your mom. tee hee.;)

  • Honey Mommy
    October 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

    What a funny story! Isn't it funny that you thought you could get away with it? Ha! Ha! Ha!

  • Mikki
    October 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

    Very funny story. Maybe a better punishment would have been if they'd taken the oh so cool new earrings away?
    Let me see, there's the time when I broke one of my mom's favorite souvenirs from Germany--a cool hourglass. I hid it in a pan under my bed for months. I was so scared of getting in trouble for that. Do you know what happened when she found out? Nothing. She was just relieved I hadn't cut myself.

  • Marketing Mama
    October 2, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

    That's a fabulous story - I love it! I also snuck out a few times, but never with a taxi.... :)

  • Krazy Armstrong K's!
    October 2, 2008 at 11:53 PM  

    LOl Love the story!! Sounds like fun!

  • Maren
    October 3, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

    So funny! Kids get the strangest ideas. My oldest constantly amazes me. I always joke that I parent that boy with my mouth hanging open. You sound like maybe you were that kind of kid:)

  • Alison
    October 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

    Wow, you were the exact opposite of me as a child. I was terrified to do anything by myself.

    Thanks for visiting me the other day!

  • Lindsay
    October 4, 2008 at 12:08 AM  

    That's quite possibly the most clever story I've heard in a LONG time! LOL. Just think of what the situation you would have come home to if it was today! Cop cars everywhere, news stations, etc. Wow. You are clever!

  • Jocasta
    October 5, 2008 at 3:01 PM  

    I love this post!

    Your poor parents!

  • Jaime
    October 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

    Wow! 8? Seriously? I didn't do any of the rebellious stuff until I was well into my teens.

  • Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional
    October 7, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

    You were a super-smart cookie! I mean I'm sure you still are, but I'm saying, you were a smart little kid too!
    And of course I can't think of any of my Rotten Little Kid moments right now. Repressed memories, perhaps?