Search this blog


Home About Contact
Friday, March 13, 2009

Photo Story Friday: Our First Pinewood Derby!  

Last night was our first Pinewood Derby. I learned about the event not even 24 hours before it took place. My son has never really been to cub scouts before, but I, in my this-will-be-such-a-great-opportunity-for-my-son-and-it-only-comes-but-once-a-year mindset, mandated that my husband help him get ready to participate despite his strong and very vocal opinions not to. Did I nearly admit that I was wrong? Lest I give into temptation... onto the races...

Despite my best efforts to apply my new Fishful Thinking knowledge on the power of positive parenting, Red Rover had a complete meltdown during the welcome section of the event. Apparently, shaking hands came too close to "ruining" his car! Oh! My! This was going to be a long night.


But then, his name was called. Lane 1 was his. And, he was able to put aside his fears of losing, people watching him and him getting embarrassed, and not having the right uniform to focus on the task at hand—racing!


Vroom! Vroom! Isn't this fun? That was our goal after all: to have fun!


Ah! Oh! Red flag. Last place! Remember, Red Rover, this was one of the problems we discussed... one of the things that may get in the way of you accomplishing your goal. What's the work around, buddy? Come on... Fishful Thinking, work your magic for this parent! Help me help my son achieve his goal to have fun even though all he really wants to achieve is to become a rock star and grow his hair out LOL!


Score! One of the work arounds to the problem of losing was to focus on the treat. After all, everyone loves a little sugar. And surely enough, the motto "Alls well that ends well" is true!

One derby down and, what?, 10 more years in Scouts to go? Oh! My!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



23 bits of juicy gossip: to “ Photo Story Friday: Our First Pinewood Derby!

  • kristin maynes
    March 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

    We've had a wins and loses!! Pine Wood Derby's are very difficult when 'My Man' has to help 3 boys with their cars. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about that for 6 years...haha!

  • Erika
    March 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

    Too funny. Poor Red Rover! At least that cookie was there and made the night a hit instead of a flop. Can't wait to see the clan this summer. Maybe we should have a family pinewood derby...and ofcourse a treat to top the night off.

  • Cecily R
    March 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

    I for one think you ROCKED that Fishful Thinking lesson!! I always feel better when there's treats to go along with my life lessons too...Red Rover and I are kindred spirits.

    Jon (my husband) won one year as a kid with a block of wood on wheels with a battery strapped to it with electrical tape. Classy.

  • Sarahviz
    March 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

    Yeah, my Hubby participates willingly in all the sporting events, but Cub Scouts? Notsomuch.
    (I'm working on him though.)

    Great lesson for Red Rover!

    (What cute little guys you have - as you know, I'm partial to boyz!)

  • Amy
    March 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

    We recently had our 1st derby too. Lost every race, but stored up knowledge for next year!

    We did meet at Blissdom (love Mom It Forward!) and thanks for stopping by my place!

  • Carrie and Troy Keiser
    March 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

    Oh the drama of cub scouting! Our derby is next friday night and I will be out of town with my daughter so grandpa is charged with camera duty... or maybe big brother.....

  • Michelle
    March 13, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

    Good thing those are only once a year, there might be some big problems otherwise!

    I have yet to get into the Scouts thing, so I'll have to tuck this little lesson away for later...

  • andrea
    March 14, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

    Your cub scout leader should be fired....not giving you any notice?! It's not like they didn't know chase had a bday, right? Oh well, there were smiles at the end, and that's all that matters. :)

    I'm glad I'm still a few years away from scouts.

  • imbeingheldhostage
    March 14, 2009 at 2:15 AM  

    Oh bless, you just took me back 12 years! I love that last photo. You didn't mention how many cars were obviously made by Dad and only Dad-- that's the issue we came up against when I was determined to let my son build his like we had been instructed.

  • Mamarazzi
    March 14, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

    oh pinewood derby...MUCH fishful thinking is required for a pinewood derby!!

  • Mrs4444
    March 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM  

    This post makes me miss my FIL, who always "helped" our son with his Pinewood Derby cars. Sadly, he passed away in 2003. I'm happy to say that my son is now 17 and about to embark on his Eagle project. Hange in there; there are many fun Scouting activities ahead!

  • Munchkins and Music
    March 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

    Those cars were pretty cool looking, I remember going to my brothers' pine wood derbys, they were pretty fun! Hope you are doing well, it's been a while since I've posted, I've been super busy.

  • Wayne
    March 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

    great photos I think that it is always important to learn that the main part of a sport of most kinds is to have fun and enjoy. Im glad you guys had a good time

  • Cheryl Lage
    March 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

    Oh Jyl...this is so precious...
    We have the breakdown moments, too...

    And do they ever stand out more now in light of FT! ;)

    Hope pinewood derbies are in our future! :)

  • ParentingPink
    March 19, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

    Awww! He did a GREAT job! And so did his mommy! Loved the pictures too - especially the one where he is about to "lose it!" Too funny!

    Missed chatting with you on GNO this week. We'll catch up later. Going to help out with the MIF event here in the DC area. I'm in touch with scrappinmom who's working with me :-)

  • scrappysue
    March 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

    losing is a hard lesson, but he looks happy enough there!

  • Michelle
    March 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

    I don't have boys so we haven't done the derby, but we have plenty of friends who have and I love seeing the boys cars and hearing of their wins and looses.

    I love the shot of the blurred cars! Perfect capture!

  • Chris
    March 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

    We did our first derby a couple of months ago -- so much drama and prestige riding on those little wooden cars!

    But my son did better than I ever did -- by sheer dumb luck.

    Nice to see that the cookie saved the day.

  • Cathy
    March 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

    It looks like he got over being upset, and was happy in the end! What a trooper!

  • Susie
    March 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

    NOthing like a few ups and downs to keep life exciting! Phew! What a night! Good luck with the next 10 years to go---you're doing a great job though so no worries! Alls well that ends well is RIGHT!

  • tiarastantrums
    March 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

    cute photos - he had fun right? that is all that matters!

  • kayerj
    March 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

    oh the days! I loved cub scouting

  • Leah
    March 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM  

    My son's church group is having their annual pinewood derby next week. Oh the fun!