Search this blog


Home About Contact
Sunday, September 21, 2008

I've Got Rythm!  


Red Rover—my oldest boy wonder—is a groovin' kid. From the time he could kick in the womb, he rocked out to music. Not to anything in particular, but to everything! When I was preggers with him, we would walk in the church doors to hear the organ playing and my little peanut would start kicking the crap out of my insides dancing like there was no tomorrow. His bust-a-move ways inspired me to make music more accessible to him. So from the day he was born, I played the piano, placing his little baby fingers atop mine—hands-on learning, literally! And again, he didn't care what I played as long as he was cradled up against me with his hands moving up and down the keys.

I have been biding my time for seven long years until the day I could sign him up for piano lessons. So, when my neighbor across the street called to say her friend was available to teach, would instruct Red Rover at our house (Score!), and charged an exceptionally reasonable price, I jumped at the opportunity! Because of all of the people who couldn't keep their mouths shut strong opinions I had heard, I scheduled a visit with the piano teacher prior to the first lesson just to make sure Red Rover was piano material and of age.

At the visit, the teacher—a guy from the local university—asked Red Rover some basic questions: How old are you? Have you ever had lessons before? And, what type of music do you like? Expecting to hear a genre-type answer to the last question—you know, classical, blues, ragtime, jazz, etc.—we were both surprised to hear, in all seriousness, this phrase quickly pop out of his mouth: "Suddenly I See by K.T. Tunstall." Move over organ I want something rockin'-er!

After this experience, I started noticing what a music snob how much pickier he is. His recent quandary is over why he can't order songs on the radio like he can a get kids meal at Mickey D's. He doesn't get that they preselect the songs and are in charge of playing what they want, when they want. Have I passed on my control freak genes or what? The other day, he heard a commercial on the radio. You know the type where they announce the station and then play a music montage—a sampling of sounds, if you will. When the advertisement finished, you would have thought the kid had broken a major bone the way he cried out in pure agony.

"What is wrong?" I inquired.

"Hurry! Hurry, mom! Turn the station. We are missing my favorite song." He shrieked.

"But, I didn't turn the station, honey." I said delicately and then continued, "That was just a commercial. They weren't going to play the whole song—just a snippet to show us that they like to play it on this station."

"That's rude, mom!" He stated matter-of-factly.

I wonder if they have K.T. Tunstall in easy reader piano books even though, as he informed me on the way home from school yesterday, he has now moved on to Estelle's American Boy. Oh! My!

For another terrific post on the love of music, check out Lindsay's blog today over at Our Lives—In a Nutshell.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



40 bits of juicy gossip: to “ I've Got Rythm!

  • Carissa(GoodnCrazy)
    September 21, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

    Nice...jealous of the in-house piano teacher, and clap clap for the youtube video babe!

  • ParentingPink
    September 21, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

    Nice - a music snob already at the ripe old age of 7?! Maybe he can teach me a thin or two! I took piano when I was his age - stuck with it about 3 years, then traded it in for competative swimming. My goal was to be able to play Beethoven's Fur Elise. Yep I can do it!

  • Unknown
    September 21, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

    LOL...LOVE it-do we have our next Beethoven or mozart on our hands here?

    thats the one thing I wish I woulda had the beans do was piano lessons...

    I will be keepin my ears open when the radio is on for red rovers new masterpiece!

  • SuperCoolMom
    September 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

    It sounds like he'll be one to stick with it on the lessons too!

  • Laural Out Loud
    September 21, 2008 at 10:25 AM  

    I'm so music illiterate it's not even funny, which is why it's surprising that my daughter seems to have an ear for music. At least as far as we can tell for her tender age of four. I wish I could get her piano lessons! You are giving your boy such a wonderful gift. Well, youalready know that, look at the results already!

  • Lindsay
    September 21, 2008 at 11:25 AM  

    Oh I so can't wait until my kids are able to take lessons - I may just have to take them with them...and embarrase them to death probably.

    Love the fact that he likes KT - adorable!

    Thanks for the link!

  • Mandy
    September 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM  

    I hope he sticks with it and always has a love for music. My oldest was in piano for 2 years and we moved and he got a diva type teacher and she gave him a bad attitude about piano and to this day won't go near it. It breaks my heart! So a good teacher plays a big role in his loving and continuing to love it. Your son sounds so cute!

  • jill jill bo bill
    September 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

    Thank you so much for the kind words and for inflicting, I mean sharing us with your friend. can't wait to catch up on you and your life.
    PS: Do you have any idea how incredibly blessed you are to have a redhead? I am jealous.

  • dianna
    September 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

    My 2 yr old gets M.A.D. when that happens too*!* She'll also get mad if a song comes on the radio, of which we have the CD, and the song that follows on the CD isn't the next song played on the radio. Good grief...did that make ANY sense?!?

  • Cant Hardly Wait
    September 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM  

    Music is so great. Any type, too. Even rap, so long as they're old enough to listen to it. It is such a good outlet. Loved this post!

  • sassy stephanie
    September 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

    That's great. My oldest is a music fanatic. She loves to sing in choir. I can't even read sheet music.

    Love the new look!

  • Wep
    September 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM  

    YAY! I never did learn how to play...despite many years of practicing...

  • Deb
    September 21, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

    Thanks so much for coming over and saying hi, and for your sweet comments. What a fun blog you have. I'll come back to visit soon.

  • Debz
    September 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM  

    Excellent!! I love music - all kinds. I think it's so awesome that he wants to play and enjoys it so much.

  • The Foster Family
    September 21, 2008 at 4:52 PM  

    Dang- he reminds me so much of you!

  • Rhea
    September 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM  

    What a cutie pie! I love how he loves music. I have one son like this also..he just has rhythm. It's so cool

  • I am Arizona; a person, not a place.
    September 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

    I've been playing with my blog design, too. Yours looks great so far!

    How awesome that your son loves to play the piano! I wish one of my kids would show an interest. Its such a great instrument. People have told me that if you can play the piano you can play anything. I tried to learn to play when I was in my 20's, but I'm totally tone deaf and have no rhythm at all. I couldn't even play in time to the metronome. lol!

  • Jenni
    September 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

    That is wonderful! I really wish I could play!!!

  • Muthering Heights
    September 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

    LOL, I love how picky he is...too cute!

  • andrea
    September 21, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

    Hey Jyl! I found the blog addy on your facebook page. It's been fun seeing/reading what's going on with you and how cute your kiddos are. Chase is a crack-up!

    Looks like you've gotten yourself a full-fledged addiction going with the blog...well done! And so funny! Mine is not near as funny, and I've been neglecting it lately. A blog-block I suppose, but come visit me.

    "Sailor Jack"...fun times! We started Nicole a year ago when she was five. Lots of people offered their opinion as well, that it was too early, but she's doing great. It think it completely depends upon the kid, and it sounds like yours is more than ready.

  • Hannah
    September 21, 2008 at 10:06 PM  

    You've got a kid with good taste ;) haha


    oh, and whatever he says when he is 13, DONT let him quit piano lessons!! that was the worst mistake of my life!!

  • Rachel Spence
    September 22, 2008 at 1:09 AM  

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! That is awesome your little man loves music and gets to take piano lessons. Can't wait to intro my kiddos {4 and under right now} to that. His music taste cracks me up though---hey he is all about variety--nothing wrong with that! lol

  • Anonymous
    September 22, 2008 at 7:48 AM  

    I always wished I had some sort of musical gene in my body... maybe it could help me with my white girl dance moves! ha!

    No really, I have no rythym. Maybe your child prodigy could teach me a thing or two!!

  • Live.Love.Eat
    September 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM  

    I can only imagine how much your hear swells seeing him at the piano like that. Too sweet!!!!!

  • Kaye Butler
    September 22, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

    The piano lessons are worth it! I took for 13.5 years! Both of my girls are on their 2nd year of piano. Piano improves concentration, memorization and YES MATH SKILLS. You go girl!

  • Straight to Your Hart
    September 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM  

    My youngest does the same thing...I remember feeling her dancing foot inside me and touched her...she kicked me back the little bugger...ever since I notice when certain music comes on she is bouncing all over the place and do NOT change the station!! Cute post.

  • lemonologie
    September 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

    Thanks for your visit!

    I remember when I first started taking piano - seeing your photo of the sheet music really brought back memories! (My first book was in black and white though).

    Good luck with your Chopin-in-the-making!

  • Jill
    September 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

    Wow piano lessons! Oh I hope we can do that one day.

    Your son has good taste in music. I too am a fan of KT..

  • Hannah
    September 22, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

    I play for a stress relief too! I stink at sight-reading. I have to write in all of the notes-- and I play by ear for the most part.

    I've been trying to teach myself to play "River flows in you" by Yiruma (it's on my playlist as "Bella's lullabye" I think!)

    It's soooo gorgeous

  • Carissa(GoodnCrazy)
    September 22, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

    Thanks for the button link up there...glad it worked..'talk' to you tomorrow night!

  • Ane
    September 22, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

    Oh, I can't wait to put my kids in lessons! He is such a cutie! I have noticed our baby does the same thing when we are riding in the car with any music on. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

  • Kacey
    September 22, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

    Well you have to admit both tunes are incredibly good! At least he has good taste in music right? I think the piano is fabulous and hope the lessons work out!

  • Pennies In My Pocket
    September 22, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

    LOL I love this. My mom is a piano teacher...our house was filled with music from 6AM (seriously, my mom was so booked that they would come THAT early) until 8PM. My daughter LOVES music and plays the 'drums' to the beat of every tune.She goes NUTS when she's around the piano and always goes 'tisk tisk tisk' to the beat! Yeah, she's 16 months old. lol

    We play music constantly in our house. Can't wait to see what she ends up doing with her musically inclined little self.

    ~melody~

  • Claremont First Ward
    September 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

    I love to hear about kids and music....lucky Red Rover for getting in house lessons. Yahoo!

  • Maren
    September 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

    Wow! Love your site, also got the impression from a comment on Parentin Pink that URLDS2? Super! Then you know all about the fun of wrestling kids thru Sacrament:) I would love for you to visit my sister's and my site, if you have a minute. We are loving the blogging community! BTW, I can't stop my kids from listening to KT's "Suddenly I See". And you oughta see their faces when I pop in Mika!!

  • Wendy
    September 22, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

    Music snobbery is not all bad. Let's see, what about making his own blog with musician picture posts, create his own playlist then he can have his own creative list to listen any time he wants so he won't have to depend on those blasted radio djs, pay him a dollar for chores and he can download an itune song. Oops! I am getting carried away...did you say he is only 7? :)

  • Dreams and Designs
    September 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

    Sounds like this kid needs Guitar Hero and a set of drums!!!

    Piano lessons may increase his IQ- blah, blah, blah, but girls love a guy who can play the guitar!!! ;)

  • Mikki
    September 22, 2008 at 11:33 PM  

    I always wanted to learn to play the piano. Very cool to have in house lessons.

  • sweetytots
    September 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

    came here for rour wordless and found this.. cool to learn the piano early.. happy ww! my entries are here
    http://sweetprettynaughty.blogspot.com/2008/09/wordless-wednesday-18.html
    http://memoryfilled.blogspot.com/2008/09/wordless-wednesday-3_23.html

  • Style Epiphany
    September 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM  

    Sounds like your lil guy was meant to play. That's just amazing. Enjoyed your story :)